Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Empty Meat Pole

Well deer season is over here in Alabama. I finished my season with no deer harvested. But all is not lost, because this year we had more snow , and I used the opportunity to find out how the deer traveled.This knowledge has been locked away in the vault of my mind for future reference. I have hunted the property long enough to know how most of the deer moved.But was always eluded by some of the largest bucks. I love to scout during snow because it tells from what direction the deer move. Finding trails, sign, and bedding areas are great and for one who knows what to look for can tell from what direction deer move. But snow really completes the picture.
Some would say I need to study more, since I didn't kill anything this year. But I didn't get as much time as in the past to spend in the woods. Also I spent the first half of my season trying to help my ten year son get his first deer. (still be working on that next year) I was also more selective this year, I let any deer I thought was to young walk. And after some of the large scrapes and rubs I found, I didn't want just any buck. I set my mind for one that rubbed a tree that was about 28 inches around. Also in that same area we found a dropped antler with 6 points on one side. He is the one I want. I was also looking for a split brow tine 7 point that has eluded me the past two seasons. Well they will be bigger next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment